National Dance Company Wales Announce 16-Date Terra Firma Tour
Following its ambitious and successful staging of P.A.R.A.D.E. National Dance Company Wales iis currently preparing for its new Spring programme, Terra Firma, and has announced 16 dates touring to towns and cities across the UK, starting its journey in the Welsh capital on 8 February.
The three choreographers behind each dance piece of the Terra Firma tour are all recipients of the Copenhegan International Choreography award over various year.
For NDCWales; contemporary dance is a way to tell old stories in new ways. Pulling together vibrant physicality with memorable music and beautiful scenery. The tour sets out to follow NDCWales’ ambition to tour nationally and internationally and present work by the best international choreographers. The company continues to diversify by bringing a fresh and dynamic programme to reach new audiences.
Terra Firma will be touring four pieces in total, with each venue staging three of the four pieces. Terra Firma tells stories drawn from the very ground on which we build our communities.
Folk by Caroline Finn
Folk is a twisted vintage fairy-tale under the boughs of an upside-down tree. They say ‘there’s nowt so queer as folk’ and in this quirky and surreal portrait of community life, Caroline’s grim characters paint a fantastical picture. The theatrical choreography, and dark humour are accompanied by a captivating soundtrack and rich, haunting designs. Folk was the first piece created by Finn for NDCWales which was a hugely successful showcase for the British Council at the 2017 Edinburgh Festival.
The Green House by Caroline Finn
The Green House brings the outside in; on a verdant Wes-Anderson style TV set, the ‘stars’ are stuck in a never-ending loop. Beautifully unsettling and full of character. Caroline's trademark darkly comic and quirky choreography asks the question: “if we do the same things over and over, how can we expect different results?”
Tundra by Marcos Morau
Tundra is a barren landscape where ultra-modern creativity blinks into life and tears pages from history books about Russian folk dance, the USSR and revolution. Marcos Morau’s bold style draws inspiration from art and cinema. Tundra takes old ideas and uses contemporary dance to give them renewed meaning. Tundra was first performed as part of NDCWales 2017 production - P.A.R.A.D.E., one of the flagship events in the Wales’ Russia ’17 programme which was staged in both Cardiff and Bangor. Tundra was recently named as the Best Dance Event of 2017 by Wales Arts Review. It now returns to the stage as part of the Terra Firma tour where audiences eagerly await this extraordinary dance piece created by Marco Morau which includes his unique, visually pleasing style of choreography and performed by world class dancers.
Atalaÿ by Mario Bermudez Gil
Atalaÿ is a watch tower from which far off lands can be seen from four points; a contagious dance influenced by the warmth of the Mediterranean. Mario Bermudez Gil draws on his Spanish roots and Israeli training and blends them with NDCWales’ quirky theatricality to make a piece full of character and incredible skill.
In April, the company will also perform Terra Firm in Austria and Germany.
Audiences will also have the chance to access National Dance Company Wales’ participation opportunities as part of the tour. These include:
- Discover Dance - An ideal introduction to dance for young people and adults. This is ideal for young people (aged 7 and over) and is a joyous, fun experience of joining in and watching a dance piece whilst learning what it’s like to be a dancer.
- Watch Dance Class – An opportunity to sketch, photograph and learn more about the backstage secrets and watch the dancers up close as they prepare on show day.
- Post Show Talk – A chance to ask Rehearsal Director Lee Johnston and NDCWales dancers about their work and what it takes to become a dancer in a leading UK dance company.
Full Tour Schedule - The tour will visit the following towns and cities throughout February, March, April and May 2018. *Includes international dates.
- Feb 8, Cardiff, Sherman Theatre, Folk / Tundra / Atalaÿ 7.45pm
- Feb 9, Cardiff, Sherman Theatre, (Discover Dance) 11am, 5pm
- Feb 13 Huddersfield, Lawrence Batley Theatre, Green House / Tundra / Atalaÿ 7.30pm
- Feb 14, Huddersfield, Lawrence Batley Theatre (Discover Dance) 1pm
- Feb 22, Taunton, The Brewhouse Folk / Tundra / Atalaÿ 7.30pm
- Feb 26, Brecon, Theatr Brycheiniog, Folk / Tundra / Atalaÿ 7.30pm
- Feb 27 Brecon, Theatr Brycheiniog, (Discover Dance) 1pm
- Mar 1, Birmingham, DanceXchange, Green House / Tundra / Atalaÿ 8pm
- Mar 2, Birmingham, DanceXchange, Green House / Tundra / Atalaÿ 8pm
- Mar 6, Shrewsbury, Theatre Severn, Folk / Tundra / Atalaÿ 7.30pm
- Mar 7, Shrewsbury, Theatre Severn, (Discover Dance) 1pm
- Mar 13 Aberystwyth Arts Centre, Folk / Tundra / Atalaÿ 7.30pm
- Mar 14 Aberystwyth Arts Centre, (Discover Dance) 1pm
- Mar 22 Newtown, The Hafren, Green House / Tundra / Atalaÿ, 7.30pm
- Mar 23 Newtown, The Hafren, (Discover Dance) 1pm
- Mar 27 Milford Haven, Torch Theatre, Folk / Tundra / Atalaÿ 7.30pm
- Apr 5 *Austria, Posthof, Linz, 7.30pm
- Apr 7 *Germany, Theater Bonn, Bonn, 7.30pm
- Apr 10 *Germany, Forum Leverkusen, Leverkusen 8pm
- Apr 16 Theatr Clwyd, Mold Folk / Tundra / Atalaÿ, 7.30pm
- Apr 17 Theatr Clwyd, Mold, (Discover Dance matinee) 1pm, 7.30pm
- Apr 20 Riverfront, Newport, Folk / Tundra / Atalaÿ 7.30pm
- Apr 21 Riverfront, Newport, (Discover Dance) 1pm
- Apr 24 Pontio, Bangor, Green House / Tundra / Atalaÿ 7.30pm
- Apr 26 Swansea, Taliesin Arts Centre, Folk / Tundra / Atalaÿ, 7.30pm
- Apr 27 Swansea, Taliesin Arts Centre, (Discover Dance) 1pm
- May 3 London, The Place, Green House / Tundra / Atalaÿ, 8pm
- May 4 London, The Place, Green House / Tundra / Atalaÿ, 8pm
- May 8 Derby, Derby Theatre, Folk / Tundra / Atalaÿ 7.30pm
- May 9 Derby, Derby Theatre, (Discover Dance) 1pm
- May 12 Newcastle, Dance City, Folk / Tundra / Atalaÿ 7.30pm
- May 13 Newcastle, Dance City, Folk / Tundra / Atalaÿ 2pm
Check Venue websites for ticket availability and for further details on NDC Wales visit www.ndcwales.co.uk