Rapunzel Reimagining To Play South Wales Venues
This Easter, theatre company, We Made This, will bring their new show The Girl with Incredibly Long Hair, a reimagining of Rapunzel to Blackwood and Cardiff.
An ambitious and immersive theatre production for young audiences, The Girl with Incredibly Long Hair will open at Blackwood Miners Institute from April 4 to 6 before performing at Wales Millennium Centre from April 10 to 15.
Families are invited to join Rapunzel, her Mam, and her new friend Daf as they set off on an adventure to the heart of the forest and be immersed in its sights, sounds and smells, with the story unfolding all around the audience.
The Girl with Incredibly Long Hair is a new family show from We Made This which reimagines the story of Rapunzel for our times and promises an unforgettable experience for the whole family.
The cast includes Connor Allen as Daf, Rebecca Killick as Mam and Roanna Lewis as Rapunzel, while the production is directed by Matt Ball. The creative team also includes Alison Neighbour (Designer), Elanor Higgins (Lighting Designer), Sam Jones (Sound Designer).
“When we were making Light Waves Dark Skies we began a conversation about the bedtime stories we read our children, “explains Matt Ball.
“It frustrated us that in the 21st century so many children's books still have a very old-fashioned view of the world. How many stories have a Princess waiting to be saved by Prince or a girl who likes sparkly dresses and a boy who gets muddy?"
“Out of these discussions The Girl with an Incredibly Long Hair was born; a reimagining of Rapunzel, where she doesn’t need to be saved by the prince. It's the kind of show we want our own kids to see and we can’t wait to share this story with young audiences and their families in South Wales this Easter.”
Performances will include a relaxed performance in both venues which are open to anyone but are intended to cater for people who may find going to the theatre challenging, in particular people with an Autistic Spectrum Condition, learning disability or sensory and communication disorder. There will be two BSL interpreted performances by Sami Thorpe at Wales Millennium Centre.
The Girl With The Incredibly Long Hair - Listings details
Blackwood Miners’ Institute
High St, Blackwood NP12 1BB
- 4 April, 4pm
- 5 April, 11am & 3pm
- 6 April, 11am (Relaxed Performance and Touch Tour*)
* Maximum 20 tickets for the Touch Tour, which will take place 10.15am - 10.45am. Please book tickets through the box office. Tickets: £5 / £3.50 (includes 50p booking fee)
Tickets and information: www.blackwoodminersinstitute.com / 01495 227206
Weston Studio, Wales Millennium Centre
Cardiff Bay, Cardiff CF10 5AL
- 10 - 15 April, 11am & 3pm
- 13 April, 11am & 3pm (BSL Interpreted Performances)
- 14 & 15 April, 11am (Relaxed Performance and Touch Tour*)
* Maximum 20 tickets for the Touch Tour, which will take place 10.15am - 10.45am. Please book tickets through the box office. Tickets: £7 Tickets and Information: wmc.org.uk Supported by Arts Council of Wales, Blackwood Miners' Institute, Creu Cymru and Wales Millennium Centre.