Allan Yn Y Fan Release New Single To Coincide With Autumn Tour
Welsh traditional band Allan Yn Y Fan are celebrating 22 years on the road with the release of their first single this month, followed by a major European tour.
The single, to be released on the Steam Pie label, consists of two tracks “Ym Mhontypridd” and “Gorthrwm y Gweithiwr”. The latter, which the band believes to be the first ever recording of the song, refers to the struggles of the workers, versus their Beaufort, Ebbw Vale ironmasters in mid-19th century Wales.
Both tour print and CD single feature the band in front of William Edward’s iconic single arch bridge crossing the River Taff in Pontypridd. Built in 1756, it was for 40 years Britain’s longest single span bridge.
The title of the tour is also inspired by the musical bridges that supporters of the band have enabled them to build over the decades, reflected by returns to Luxembourg, Spiegelberg, Ystradgynlais and Abertyleri.
The band is also mindful of the Welsh proverb “A Fo Ben Bid Bont” – which could be translated as “If you want to be a leader, be a bridge.” A possible interpretation of which is to become a leader, you must help others achieve their aims….!
Allan Yn Y Fan is especially pleased on this tour to be paying first visits to Papenburg where they will perform the first concert in the newly restored Altei Droste venue; a premiere concert in the Studio Theatre of Dresden’s Staatsschauspiel; plus first visits to Llanelli, Oswestry and Llanidloes.
“Ym Mhontypridd/Gorthrwm Y Gweithiwr” is released on 7th September.
The full tour dates are shown below :-
- 14/09/18 Theatr Brycheiniog BRECON Wales
- 27/09/18 Chateau Bettembourg LUXEMBOURG
- 28/09/18 Alte Drostei PAPENBURG Germany
- 29/09/18 Gemeinde Halle Jux SPIEGELBERG Germany
- 30/09/18 Kleines Haus Staatsschauspiel DRESDEN Germany
- 01/10/18 West Flügel SYKE Germany
- 05/10/18 Ffwrnes LLANELLI Wales
- 13/10/18 The Function Room LLANIDLOES Wales *
- 14/10/18 Hermon Chapel Arts Centre OSWESTRY England
- 16/11/18 The Welfare YSTRADGYNLAIS Wales
- 17/11/18 The Met ABERTYLERI Wales
- 23/11/18 Village Hall REDWICK Wales *
- 01/12/18 Market Theatre LEDBURY England
* Funded by Night Out/Arts Council Wales